Thursday, August 16, 2007

First full day in New York

I must say that Rosy's Blog put's mine to shame. I guess that's what happens when you have to pay $1 for 5 minutes with a time limit. I just get to write the bare minimum.

Anyway, I'm in a room with 7 other guys. I didn't think I would get much sleep here as we were on a pretty busy road - but as I am walking quite a bit I get to sleep quite quickly.

Last night I saw Disney's live stage production of Mary Poppins. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but the new songs weren't as melodious as the originals, which seemed few and far between. The set reminded me of Sunset Boulevard. It had a full size multi level cut-away section of the house from the story and the roof contained the nursery, which would come down from the top of the stage to ground level. The story was roughly based on the original movie, but this time they concentrated a lot more on Mr and Mrs Banks and the relationship between father and son. When looked in this context it seems obvious to me that Bert symbolises the positive father figure, whilst Mr Banks is the negative - that is until it all switches around when Banks realises that family is more important than work. The lead had a great voice and at the end of the show she flies off the stage and floats up the mezzanine and dress cirlce floors. Quite impressive considering she is about 60 feet off the ground. The new songs were a bit forgetful and they also introduced a new mean nanny, who was Bank's original nanny when he was a child. It explained why he was short of feeling.

Cheers
Stephen

No comments: