Wednesday, August 22, 2007

First full day in Chicago

You know, it's not so bad staying at an airport hotel once you get use to the jets taking off and landing. It think they have a curfew of about 3am.

I just basically roamed around Chicago all day. Had a look inside Macy's and Sears. Not much here other than a few bookshops and multitude of food places, a few odd shops and theatres. It was a bit of a disappointment actually.

I did manage to find my way to powell's bookstore on Lincoln Ave, using the train system. It's about 25 miles north of the city.

I managed to get tickets to a musical 'Wicked', which is aparantly coming to Sydney in Summer. I tried to get a ticket in new York, but it was booked out solid. It was cheaper and easier to get into here in Chicago. I also got a ticket to the behind-the-scenes tour, which happens a little before the show. It was quite interesting and was conducted by two cast members. It was a really good show. Lots of good music, props and special effects. But, I still really preferred 'Hairspray'. It has a lot to do with the energy and music level. I found it really hard to hear some of the dialogue in Wicked. It may have had something to do with the accents. Even though the show started at 7:30am I didn't get back to the Hotel at O'Hare until 12:30am. The Airport train is really slow and is pissing some of the natives off a bit.

Cheers
Stephen

No comments: